And content research
Best marketing content practices for your needs
How can I avoid Google’s penalties for inactive outbound or spam links?
We have all heard of sanctions against inactive or spam-type links, so you should also monitor them. This is also the way we do content marketing.
Most of us are aware of the sanctions that can occur if you have inactive or poor quality links to your site. But did you know that you can also be penalized by Google for the way your links point to other websites? Indeed, it is called an “unnatural outbound link”, and as for a dead link, a penalty can be applied to your site.
Recently, we conducted an audit for a new client and noticed several advertising links that were targeted to a specific section. The content manager unknowingly allowed invited bloggers to post comments with links to their sites. This content contains a large number of commercial links and over-optimised text.
We therefore recommended that these links be removed, but this recommendation was ignored and was not considered a priority despite our efforts to communicate the seriousness of this issue.
When Google released the Penguin 4 update, our customer was penalized because of these links.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO AVOID THESE SANCTIONS?
- Avoid publishing irrelevant links from poor quality sites.
- Prohibit users of your site from inserting links in their comments.
- Do not share links to sites that would like to offer you some type of compensation to do so, such as money, goods or services for reciprocal links.
- Train your site’s content managers to be aware of the links they share.
If you have received a penalty, you should take the following steps to correct it:
- Identify links on your site that point to external websites. You can use a tool such as “Screaming Frog” to identify outgoing links.
- Check these links to identify those that do not comply with Google’s guidelines.
- Remove problematic links or add a “nofollow” label for links so they do not pass from PageRank.
If you need help, do not hesitate to contact us! We also do research on who the competition is, on the most relevant “Meta”, thoughtful marketing positioning and, of course, a PPC (Pay per click) review, as well as conversion optimization.
PUT YOUR MARKETING IN THE HANDS OF OUR TEAM OF SKILLED EXPERTS!